LTA Solutions' Founder - Charles Luffman
- Born 7 June 1949 in Weston-super-Mare, UK.
- Eldest of 7 children. Raised near and in Birmingham from age 3 to 19.
- Graduated from Salford University in 1972 with a BSc in aeronautical engineering.
- Completed apprenticeship in 1973 after 5 years with Hawker Siddeley Aviation, near Chester.
- Worked mainly as an aircraft and general industry structural design and stress engineer from 1973 onwards.
- Became a full member of the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1987.
- Awarded 'Chartered Engineer' status in 1988.
- Joined Airship Industries (London & Cardington) in late 1981. Head of Structures when the company closed in 1990.
- Continued airship work with Westinghouse until end 1993, shortly after which they concluded all airship business.
- Reverted to heavier-than-air (HTA) aircraft work early 1994 to end 1998 and developed own airship ideas privately.
- Worked for CargoLifter in Germany from end 1998 until it closed (31 July 2002). Ended as the CL75 AirCrane Chief Engineer.
- Set up LTA Solutions to continue privately as an aircraft consultant working from home and developed own designs for new types (Luffships).
- Fulfilled various contracts for aircraft (LTA and HTA) and general industry companies as a structural design and stress engineer 2002 onwards.
- Founding partner in SkyLifter businesses from 2008. Responsible for various types designed, produced and flown.
- Still pursuing Luffship developments and his strategy for industry success.
Fit and able, he is interested in a broad range of pursuits concerning transport, energy systems and architecture. He helped bring back useful airships (see past achievements, next page); but his own designs needed investment for development. These included the infrastructure (hangars, mooring systems, maintenance and shipping equipment) and special systems for power, propulsion and control (such as new solar, diesel/electric, fuel-cell, cycloidal propellers, autonomous and R/C systems).
He also has written numerous papers/articles and given lectures about airships plus wrote a book about the technology and future possibilities.
He was always interested to use his skills/talents to help generally for everyone's benefit.
Apart from that and family life, his main hobbies included dance and choral singing.
Return to the services page.