- Born 7 June 1949 in Weston-super-Mare, UK.
- Eldest of 7 children. Raised near and in Birmingham from age 3 to 19.
- Graduated from Salford University in 1972 with a BSc in aeronautical engineering.
- Completed apprenticeship in 1973 after 5 years with Hawker Siddeley Aviation, near Chester.
- Worked mainly as an aircraft and general industry structural design and stress engineer from 1973 onwards.
- Became a full member of the Royal Aeronautical Society in 1987.
- Awarded ĎChartered Engineerí status in 1988.
- Joined Airship Industries (London & Cardington) in late 1981. Head of Structures when the company closed in 1990.
- Continued airship work with Westinghouse until end 1993, shortly after which they concluded all airship business.
- Reverted to heavier-than-air (HTA) aircraft work early 1994 to end 1998 and developed own airship ideas privately.
- Worked for CargoLifter in Germany from end 1998 until it closed (31 July 2002). Ended as the CL75 AirCrane Chief Engineer.
- Set up LTA Solutions to continue privately as an aircraft consultant working from home and developed own designs for new types (Luffships).
- Fulfilled various contracts for aircraft (LTA and HTA) and general industry companies as a structural design and stress engineer 2002 onwards.
- Was offering LTA solutions and active as a founding partner in SkyLifter until retirement age. Responsible for various types designed, produced and flown.
- Currently pursuing relationships with new people for further Luffship developments.
Fit and able, Iím interested in a broad range of pursuits concerning transport, energy systems and architecture. I helped bring back useful airships (see past achievements, next page); but my own designs needed investment for development. These designs included the infrastructure (hangars, mooring systems, maintenance and shipping equipment) and special systems for power, propulsion and control (such as new solar, diesel/electric, fuel-cell, cycloidal propellers, autonomous and R/C systems).
Iíve also written numerous papers/articles and given lectures about airships plus wrote a book about the technology and future possibilities. However, from recent setbacks, I wonder if it should be published.
Iíve always been interested to use my skills and talents to help people generally, enabling a better life for all.
Apart from that and family life, my main hobbies include dance and choral singing. It also appears that LTA Solutions now is a hobby!
Return to the services page.